8 Things I am passionate about:
- living an authentic faith my kids (and others) will see and by it know Jesus is real
- loving my husband
- raising my kids to love God and love others - in that order
- being healthy and keeping in shape (this is greatly complicated by #4!)
- cooking and baking
8 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:
- grow into a person who can truly say she lives her life for an audience of One
- travel, travel and more travel - Greek islands, a Civil War tour down the East Coast, Yellowstone, Redwood forests, Italy, revisit Cayman Islands where we honeymooned...
- see my children cross the line of faith and live out godly lives - get married and have children of their own, too!
- decorate my home... I often tease that God gave me an extra dose of the organizing gene but forgot to give me the decorating gene! I can't pick paint colors, coordinate furniture or accessorize to save my life. Lol.
- take culinary classes
- run a marathon in less than four hours
- complete a half-ironman race
- read all the great classics I never read in school
8 Things I Say Often:
(mostly to my kids!)
- Focus, Thatch.
- I love you.
- Use "Honey Words!" (I will blog about this soon.)
- People are more important than things (usually said when my guys are arguing over a toy).
- Make the wise choice!
- You bring me joy.
- It's not fun unless everyone is having fun.
- Time to clean up!
8 Books I've read recently:
(For me this category should be "The 8 most recent books I've read" since most have not been recently read and it would be most accurate if was an altogether different category: "The 8 books waiting on my bedside table to be read!")
- Taste and See by John Piper
- The Birth Order Book by Kevin Lehman
- The Well-Trained Mind (the Logic section) by Susan Wise-Bauer
- Wisdom and Eloquence by Robert Littlejohn and Charles Evans
- The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise-Bauer
- Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel (I read this a few years ago but refer to it regularly)
- Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
- Chronicles of Narnia (our bedtime read-a-louds the past several months)
8 Songs I could listen to over and over:
- most anything by Kenny Chesney - right now my favorite is Never Wanted Nothing More
- Something in the Way She Moves by James Taylor - actually the entire Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 (except Steamroller)
- Piano Man by Billy Joel (okay I realize I am cheating by naming entire CD's - but the entire Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 and 2!)
- the entire Soundtrack from Les Miserables
- Sitting by the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
- Drift Away by Dobie Gray ( I loved this way before Uncle Cracker redid it and the original version is so much better than the remake!)
- Levon, Philadelphia Freedom and Rocket Man by Elton John
- Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art
8 Things I've learned this year:
- I have constantly been reminded that I am a sinner in need of a Savior and I still have a lot of growing to do.
- Homeschooling is as much (and somedays more) a tool God is using to disciple me as it a tool I am using to teach and disciple my children.
- I love coffee and dark chocolate
- I am becoming more of an introvert as I get older. Solitude re-energizes me more than time around lots of people. I still am not sure if this is because I am a mom of 3 young kids (and get so little solitude) or that my personality is shifting.
- Even though #4 is true I still need good friends in my life who will love me no matter what and speak truth into my life.
- I need to not take things so seriously and I need to laugh a lot more!
- I was always under the illusion that because I made excellent grades all through school and college that I am an educated person. Just one year of formal homeschooling (third year counting pre-k and Kindergarten) has exposed that myth! I have a lot of learning to do still and most of it has to do with teaching myself how to read and engage texts in a thoughtful way.
- I really do like Star Wars!
Eight People to Tag:
That's only six but anyone else who wants to jump in, please do. Leave a comment and I'll read yours, too!