Saturday, July 28, 2007

Our Family Rules

Here are our family's rules. I have wanted to do this for a long time, but wasn't quite sure how to go about it. It needed to be something we could commit to memory, so yesterday I had the crazy idea of using an acronym as a mnemonic device.

I chose "GOLDEN RULE" because it is the umbrella rule that covers all others - including any I may have missed! I also wanted our rules to be Scripture based so the boys would understand as they got older that these were rooted in the truth of God's word and not simply arbitrary.

These rules and the accompanying Scriptures (NIV) will be some of our first memory and copywork for this school year.

Give generously to others - sharing all I have: my toys, my time and my talents.
  • Do not forget to do good and share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. - Hebrews 13:16
Obey quickly and cheerfully.
  • Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. - Ephesians 6:1
Look to the interests of others.
  • In humility consider others better than yourselves...your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. - Philippians 2:3b, 5
Do my best at all times.
  • Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
Exhibit self-control.
  • For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23
No matter what tell the truth.
  • The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful. - Proverbs 12:22

Respect others by using good manners.
  • Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. - 1Peter 2:17
Use kind and calm words.
  • A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1
Listen to others.
  • Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. - James 1:19
Evidence thankfulness by choosing gratitude.
  • Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18
  • Do all things without complaining or arguing. - Philippians 2:14
The Golden Rule: Do to others as you would have them do to you for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:12

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the way you have done this! I have been thinking all summer that I would like to come up with a family rules list that we could post as a visual reminder...but I couldn't come up with a way to do it that wasn't just an overwhelmingly long *list*. What a great idea to use an acronym! I think I will be borrowing your idea to adapt for our *rules* as well. Thank you for posting!

Heidi said...

Wow! You did a really great job on that. Mind if I borrow? :)

Jennefer said...

Not at all - borrow away. I will be using tons of your great ideas as well, I am sure! :)

Anonymous said...

J,
If I keep cking on your blogg I am going to want to do all your stuff!! Girl, where do you find the time! You rock!! Love the rules, and love you!
If I keep this up I will eventually become you... I'd better stop visiting your bloggs before I copy it all! You know I am such the under-achiever!... stop trying to make me work harder! hee hee:)
Just kidin' my friend!
You have such a sweet heart and great ideas, it's easy to want to copy you! Especially when it comes from a heart that serves the Lord!
Love ya
Tracy

Lisa~ said...

Oh, If I knew then what I know now.... my son graduates next year and I will have 1 in 9th grade and at home and one 6th grader at home.... you and Jessica Trivium are such great mums!

I try not to look back with regrets of what I did not know when we first started out so long ago.....or did not do….

I sure didn’t have the resources and support that is available now with WTM and other places…. Like blogs! This may sound pathetic… but… true, Im envious.... you are just beginning.... I feel like I’m finishing up.... Don’t get me wrong.... My son has turned out to be a great young man!!!! Just wish I woulda, could, shoulda....

I think I am mourning my kids childhood... not because it was bad! It was wonderful.... but its almost gone!!!

ok, I’m rambling.... I just love your house rules... what a Blessing and a covering!

Warmest thoughts today, Lisawa

Anonymous said...

oh, what a neat list!

Jamie said...

This is so well done. May I use this?

Jamie

Jennefer said...

Jamie,

Definitely feel free to use these. Adapt them to work for you if you need to. We have them posted on our fridge and refer to them often! I hope they bless your family. :)

Jennefer

Tiffany said...

Jennefer,

Thank you so much! I LOVE this!!

I made a "scrappy" page & posted it on my blog if you want to take a look - Thank you for the inspiration.

Ruth said...

I love your "Golden Rule" rules!
We have a list of family guidelines too, but I was not so clever as to fit them to an acronym!!

Ruth xx