I chose "GOLDEN RULE" because it is the umbrella rule that covers all others - including any I may have missed! I also wanted our rules to be Scripture based so the boys would understand as they got older that these were rooted in the truth of God's word and not simply arbitrary.
These rules and the accompanying Scriptures (NIV) will be some of our first memory and copywork for this school year.
Give generously to others - sharing all I have: my toys, my time and my talents.
- Do not forget to do good and share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. - Hebrews 13:16
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. - Ephesians 6:1
- In humility consider others better than yourselves...your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. - Philippians 2:3b, 5
- Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
- For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23
- The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful. - Proverbs 12:22
Respect others by using good manners.
- Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. - 1Peter 2:17
- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1
- Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. - James 1:19
- Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Do all things without complaining or arguing. - Philippians 2:14