Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Letter to my Friend

K,

My hope is to encourage you as you begin your journey into this crazy, but oh so rewarding, blessing called homeschooling. I shared some of this with you recently, but I want to say it again for the whole world (or at least anyone who stumbles across my blog!) to read: You are truly going to be a great homeschool mommy! Here's why -

First, you have put this completely in God's hands. You and your husband have prayed through this for some time now, weighed all options carefully, researched and then jumped. Not the other way around. Too often people make a rash decision without all the information then they are shocked at the reality of the commitment...and it is a huge commitment!

Second, you are, in my opinion, the perfect personality to homeschool: you are organized but not obsessive, scheduled but not uptight, detailed but not compulsive. All in all, you are balanced. That will serve you well in homeschooling as it does in all your life! In the craziness sure to arise when schooling four different levels, you will have the ability adapt as needed and not get so mired down in "the plans". And one more thing about you that will (and already does) bless your children tremendously - you are fun! You laugh readily at life, and that's one of the things I admire most about you.

You manage your home well, are an excellent disciplinarian and have a wonderful partner in your husband to navigate the sometimes choppy waters you may encounter. You are ready and, more importantly, willing to sacrifice things others moms consider necessities. For homeschool mommies they are luxuries - five minutes to yourself being a prime one!

Lastly, you have realistic expectations. You are, to borrow my new favorite quote, "not homeschooling them to protect them but to prepare them". You understand some (okay, sometimes many) days will be hard but many will also be sweet. You will fall in bed completely exhausted each evening but with the comfort of knowing that you are faithfully walking the path God has called you to. And I am so thankful I get to walk that path alongside you.

What a special gift you are giving to your children; they have no idea how very lucky they are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

K-la,
What can I say that Jen hasn't already so eloquently said? I am just getting to know you and I am looking forward to getting to know you and your children more. They are precious! And hilarious!
I have shared some things with you already, but just to remind you, If I can help in any way, you know I will.
You have already seen how many opinions there are out there (even in our little circle) of what to do and how... you know what is best for your children, and you will learn so much more as this school yr progresses. Trust your mommy instincts and don't fret!
I encourage you to see this yr as a "free-be", free to do as little as you want and take as much time as you need to re-discover your kids.
I know this homeschool thing is a trial for you and your family and you are taking it one yr at a time... aren't we all!!
You are training them to love and serve the Lord, God knows your heart's desires for your homeschooling experience and your reasons.
But again, remember.. Homeschooling doesn't get you into heaven!! It will be fine if you get frustrated, just go ahead and know that now! Being with your kids more isn't going to make them less annoying, but the benefits are long term. It's a marathon not a sprint!
You will be blessed in the little moments that are so special since they are home! They will come to you for those important things!
And hey, if you have a bad day, you can call and vent anytime!! We have ALL been there!
Love ya girl! Good luck in this upcoming year and you are not alone, you already know that. God has blessed you with your very supportive husband and a host of friends! USE US!!
Love,
Tracy Ben

Anonymous said...

K,

What a journey God has placed you and your family on! Tracy said it best when she said, "It is a marathon, not a sprint." So... my piece of wisdom comes from one of my favorite sermons: "O Delta E": Obedience Changes Everything. Be obedient to what He has called you to do, no matter how hard, how tired, how frustrated, how overwhelmed, or how lost you may feel, just remember that tomorrow is another day and He called you to homeschool for a reason. I find it helps me greatly to pray to release me from my desires, my ideas of what the children should learn and pray that He works through me to teach them what He wants them to learn that day. When I know I am allowing Him to work through me, my days go much better!! We are praying for each of our new homeschool families. Remember that we all love you and support you.

Blessings and hugs,
Laurie Beth

Hen Jen said...

what a sweet, encouraging letter! I loved the quote.