Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Summer To-Do's

I think you can split the world into two groups - those who are motivated by to-do lists and those who are repulsed. I am the former, my husband the latter. I can't help it; I love the things (See post in my other blog for more about this). Checking those little boxes or crossing off that item is almost euphoric for me.

I also adore order; you could call me an organization freak. Someone needs to start a support group for us: "Hello my name is Jennefer and all my spices are arranged in alphabetical order by brand." I truly need to buy stock in the Sterilite company because I have 100's of their bins all over my home and, of course, all perfectly labeled. It's a disease for which there is no known cure.

Here's the conflict: since we have chosen to homeschool there is no time during the school year to do anything but basic weekly cleaning and keep up with laundry - and not even that some weeks! If I can set aside time each summer to get my home (re)organized, we can live off of that for the entire next school year. So without further adieu, here is my summer to-do list printed for the whole world . . . or my imaginary audience . . . to see and hold me accountable to.

  • Clean and organize baby's closet
    • put away all clothes he's outgrown
    • pack up all infant items - toys, bouncy seats, etc
    • get fall/winter hand-me-downs from big brothers ready as well as pj's and jackets
    • make list of anything he will need
  • Clean and organize middle son's closet and dresser
    • get his fall/winter clothes ready including pj's, jackets and shoes
    • make a list of anything he will need
    • organize books in armoire
  • Clean and organize oldest son's room (with his help)
    • start to include him in the organization system in his room so that he will have some ownership
    • make any changes he wishes to implement
    • make lists of all the clothing items he will need for fall/winter
  • Clean out master bedroom closet
    • get bag ready for clothing donation
    • organize and re-store all maternity clothes
    • find bins to fit on shelves in closet to hold loose items
  • Go through medicine cabinet - reorganize and throw out any expired meds
  • Clean downstairs coat closet
  • Clean all ceiling fans
  • Clean pantry - remove all food, wipe down shelves, replace all items and check for exp. dates on everything
  • Clean all inside windows
  • Clean all window sills
  • Wipe down all light switches and door knobs
  • Change air filters
  • Clean out garage
    • clean outside fridge - inside and out
    • re-organize all boys' toys and air up all balls and tires that need it
    • clean/organize storage shelves
    • use blower to clean out all dirt/leaves/grass
  • Research best vacuum cleaners and purchase new one
  • Take T and H to pediatrician for yearly check-ups
  • Power wash driveway (this one is a negotiable)
  • Buy new bed and bedding for our 2 1/2 year old
  • Organize our home office
  • Organize schoolroom
    • remove all Kindergarten materials
    • put all new materials into room (once I decide on, order and receive them!)
    • clean out all craft bins
    • stock drawers with new markers, crayons, pencils and so on
    • make list of all that needs to be done before we begin first grade (It's too early in the game for me to even know what all needs to be done.)

No comments: