Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Children Learn What They Live

I was reminded of this poem today. Sometimes it's easier to be impatient, sarcastic or just plain unkind when disciplining my boys after I have said the same thing for the (seemingly) 400th time that day. The reward of persevering, choosing to be kind, encouraging and full of grace will reap huge rewards in their little hearts and minds. This poem encourages me to "keep on keeping on." I hope it inspires you, too!


Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.


If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.



Photobucket

6 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

This is a very very good reminder to me.

Gracious, my poor poor children.

Corrie said...

Wow, what a challenging post! I hear myself speaking to my kids sometimes and cringe. I'm praying that God changes me!
I want to set a goal of "just" being all these things with my children and with all others around me.

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Thank you so much for this poem and reminder. I so needed it after the most awful day I've had with my son.

A step back...now, a step forward with a new outlook. Thank you.

Jaclyn

Sheryl said...

I have been offline for a couple of months and it is good to be back. As always I enjoy reading your posts Jennefer. Thanks for keeping it up. We have started first grade here with Hope and are getting back into the swing of things. Have a great year in Second grade!!!

Sheryl in GA

Amanda said...

I found your blog through TWTM forum- thanks for posting this poem! I'm printing it out and putting it on my fridge and on the wall beside my spot at our schoolroom table. What a wonderful reminder for a Mom!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for building such a site. I was looking for the full version of the Learn What They Live poem.

Our 2 month old Twin Boyz are more than a challenge, but we are getting better.

Cheers,
Derek, Muriel, Kyle & Liam
North West Houston