Thursday, August 16, 2007

I'm Going to Read Fiction!

The boys and I are heading up to Dallas tomorrow to visit my family. My parents do not have a computer (Yes, you read that right. NO COMPUTER!!!) so you won't be hearing from me until after we get back on the 22nd. I feel a little like you might if you were preparing to go on a week long fast - no internet for a week...YIKES! I have become so accustomed to sitting at the computer every night searching message boards for great ideas/curriculum, blogging and checking in on all my cyber-friends' blogs.

What will I do with all this extra time? Glad you asked. Lol! I am taking Little Women with me. I have never read this classic - or many other classics for that matter. When I was in high school all my teachers chose to teach modern classics so I missed out on some of the great books, Little Women being one of them. I hope to have the entire book read by the time I return.

You know, as I think about it...the last time I can remember reading fiction is when I was placed on bedrest at 32 weeks of pregnancy with Haddon. That means I have not read fiction in just under three years. Oh my goodness! At that time, I read a David Baldacci novel still in manuscript form from a friend who works for Time Warner.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week and you have to catch me up on any good stuff I miss while I am gone!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!Get ready girl, you will love it! It's a great book... bring the tissues!
My mom got it for me when I was a little girl and I loved it.
Enjoy your book and your trip!
Oh...Yeah... Happy Birthday Girl!
Love
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Have a great time. Enjoy the book.

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Jennefer!
Have a great trip, relax, enjoy your book and just enjoy your blessings because they are plentiful!

Be safe, all of you.
With love,
Jessica

Darcy @ m3b said...

Oh Jennefer, this post struck a cord with me. My own k12 education lacked many of the great classics, and I just read Little Women while I was in NY last week. I hope you enjoy it. I was so sad when it ended, it was such a pleasant read. And I'm so glad I read it as a mother. Little girls should read it, but mothers should read/read it, too.
Enjoy your trip. Safe travels!

Darcy @ m3b said...

And Happy Birthday!

Lisa~ said...

Yes, Happy Birthday Jennifer! Have a great time with family!

Lisawa

my5wolfcubs said...

I read it to my girls about 2 years ago -- wonderful story! Another great story is Swiss Family Robinson -- this is my *favorite* classic. I only wish I had read it when I was a kid, my sisters and brother and I would have had such fun pretending this book!!
Enjoy your vacation and "see" you when you get back!
Lee

Anonymous said...

I read Little Women when I was young and in a way it helped define where the rest of my life went - it's my favorite book of all time. It's very interesting to look up the life of Louisa May Alcott when you're done and see what came out of her real life. I hope you enjoy it!

Hen Jen said...

oh, you will love Little women!!

have a great trip!

If you are a Jane Austin fan, try the Darcy, gentleman series and the Miss Julia series is a hoot.

Tami, full-time mom; part-time foodie said...

No computer? All I can say is that I would be in major 'puter withdrawal!

I have a dirty little secret to share. Shhhh! I have never read "Little Women" either! Hope you enjoy it!

Reading novels on vacation is the BEST ways to relax and refresh.

Have fun,
Tami

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh! I just LOVE Little Women, it's so beautiful! I hope you are loving it too!

Wanted to tell you that I stole your Green Eggs and Ham idea (or whoever's idea it was originally) for our first day of first grade today - also your Buzby the Misbehaving Bee/House Rules lesson. They both went over really well, and we had a terrific first day today - thank you!

MelissaM in NC

Anonymous said...

If you keep reading fiction..maybe over Christmas break...go for Pride and Prejudice..my all time favorite!!! I have now read it three times in the past two years...any time I need to escape a little its where I go. Our year is going great and that means alot me being a rookie. We have borrowed your family rules ideas and even my just turned three year old is memorizing them...now if I could just figure out how to get him to follow them!!!!Thanks again for all your inspiration and being the encouragment you are. Its funny how the Lord provides needed encouragment even from far away. And I'm not even a blogger or anything that cyberspace myself.
Sheryl in GA...just another mom trying to find time to love and serve my hubby, love and learn from my kids, homeschool a kindergartner, draw closer to my Savior and not completely lose myself in the process