Thursday, August 30, 2007

Look What I Got!

Fiction and non-fiction for Thatcher's Independent Reading Time - one book of each type daily.


Books for Art and Music Appreciation - this month we are learning about Rembrandt and Bach, the men and their great works.


Books for History - most for Thatcher but a few for me, too!


Baby Einstein Videos to watch on the Spanish setting!


Wondering why I am posting pictures of my library booty? Because this is my first time in three years of homeschooling I have used the library to any significant degree! I have tons of books from my teaching days and a sweet friend who gives us lots of books from her publishing company, too. In the past I have gotten by with these books we already owned and simply purchased other titles I wanted. That will no longer suffice. Thatcher is reading too much, too fast and our budget is too tight! So tonight I packed up and headed off to the library...alone.

Check out this math equation: three busy boys plus one mom with a list of 50 books to find does not equal a productive library trip. My new goal is to go to the library by myself every four to six weeks exclusively for school books. Then take the boys twice a month just for exposure and to choose "fun" books on their own. One of my favorite memories of elementary school was going to the library and choosing new books each week. I want my boys to have that opportunity, too!

Our library is not huge and honestly doesn't have all that great of a selection. Most of the history books I wanted they either didn't have or only had one copy which was already checked out. A friend of ours works at the library and in the past has asked for suggestions of books to order. Maybe I will get the recommended book lists from Story of the World, Volume 2 to put a bug in her ear. Brilliant, if I do say so myself. Lol!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

There is nothing like coming home with library bags full of good books! So glad you were able to find some that you needed...hope you are able to get them to order more that will be helpful. Enjoy your books!

Darcy @ m3b said...

Wow! Score. Those looks like great selections. We also have to use our library quite a bit for go-alongs for history and for lit selections. It's wonderful, isn't it?

Hope it's successful. :)

Tina in WA said...

Wow, you sure got a lot of wonderful books! *Ü*

I love the library system. Lisawa is wonderful at getting our library to order specific books and/or dvd series! Make the most of what your friend can do for you. *Ü* That was very sweet of her to offer to help you like that.

Truth be told, sometimes I feel a little guilty with all the books I check out on a specific topic. I am just thankful our library doesn't have a limit on how many you can check out at 1 time.

But the most important thing to remember is to return all those books back on time. The late fees can cut deep into the latte budget. LOL *Ü*

Enjoy your reading journey!

Jessica said...

Do you have interlibrary loan? I have a love/hate relationship with it personally. Great selection!

:) Jessica

my5wolfcubs said...

Great books! Of your history collection, we had Ms Frizzle's Ancient Egypt and Croco'Nile fromt the library...both lots of fun!
Lee

Lisa~ said...

Ahhh my favorite thing in the world! Books! Oh how do I love thee.. let me count the bookshelves! Lol

Great picks! Have fun…

*Ü*

Hope you are having a grand weekend!

Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Wow, great library trip! We will be making a trip next week...I am seriously lacking in easy reading material for DS.

Cyndi said...

Great finds at your library! Does your library have their catalog online? I've found that it saves me time to look for them at home on the computer, then make a list of where they are/if they are checked in/ request them. That way I can make better use of my time while we're there. We go to the library at least every 2-3 weeks.

Oh, and I loved it that you took pictures of your books! Only a blogger would do that and only another blogger would eagerly look at the pictures and get excited about the books with you, LOL. It looks like you are having a great school year so far!